Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Wild Card Game Fitting for a Team of Wild Cards

I haven't blogged since late July, for one I have been extremely busy, between work and traveling, but also because I was just kind of enjoying the ride the Royals were taking us on. In my season preview, I predicted the AL Central winner wouldn't top 94 wins and KC would finish 2 games behind Detroit and win a wild card. For everything about that article that was wrong, you know like saying the Royals could get 95 combined HRs from Moustakas, Gordon, Hosmer, Perez, and Butler. The entire effing team hit 95 HRs. But even after all of that, I did pretty well with the top 2 teams.

Needless to say, the 2014 roller coaster was ridiculous. I count 3 times I pretty much quit on this team: the slump in May, getting swept by Boston right after the All-Star break, and losing the first 2 at home vs Boston during the playoff stretch. Yet every time I quit on the Royals they found a way to go on a hot streak of some sort and sneak some hope back into us fans. I was watching the game in Chicago on my phone at a bar in Morristown, NJ with my girlfriend (it's cool she knows I loved the Royals first) and before the last out was recorded I didn't know how'd I react. At first I thought that what's the big deal? I have been watching these play-in Wild Card games since they started and I have never been too excited for the teams in them. It's still just game 163 and not a series. Then when Salvador Perez caught the pop foul and it was over, my mood instantly changed. It was like my entire life I was unable to appreciate the MLB playoffs because I can't remember the Royals being a part of it. I have seen countless teams celebrate, but this was something different. I felt actually proud to be a Royals fan for the first time in my adult life. I was fixated on the Royals celebration, and thank you mlb.tv premium app for carrying the entire thing. 

So comes last night, the Royals hosting an elimination game in KC for the first time since Game 7 of the 1985 World Series. My nerves were through the roof unlike anything I had experienced in my baseball loving life. For as many ups and downs Royals fans experienced over 162 games in 2014, what happened over 12 innings last night was the equivalent of doing it all being all messed up on speedballs the entire time Ken Caminiti-style. What took place last night was the most ridiculous baseball game since the David Freese walkoff to force game 7 against Josh Hamilton and the Rangers, except this was do or die for both teams. The Royals stumbling out the gate and being down early vs Jon Lester who has befuddled this team all year, but the Royals were clutch city delivering 3 2-out RBIs to take a 3-2 and James Shields seemingly settling in. Then in the top of the 6th James puts the first 2 on and... "wait the fuck is this? Yost is going to... Yordano Ventura?" Three pitches later Moss puts one in the batter's eye and KC is down 5-3.. then suddenly 7-3. #Yosted one last time. 2014 is over, and for the 4th time this year I had given up on the Royals. Lester was starting to get grounders and strikeouts. "Are Salvador's eyes even open tonight?" I thought. Then KC did what they do better than anyone else in baseball.. get fast. They stole 4 bags in the 8th on the way to a 3 run inning, almost makes you forget Perez looked horrible yet again at the plate. 7-6 in the 9th, Dyson on 2nd and he does this. Aoki sac-fly gets him home and we're playing extras. "Finnegan looks amazing!" Jason Frasor gives up the go-ahead and those of us in the eastern time zone are thinking "Shit I could have been in bed 3 innings ago, tomorrow at work is going to suck." Hosmer hits one almost out oppo, and ends up with a 1 out triple. Colon tops one into the ground and this game is tied again. "I am so glad I stayed up for this, but for the love of God win now, I really have too much to do at work tomorrow." Colon steals on a pitch-out that Norris can't catch. "Too bad Perez can't help but swing at every... OH MY GOD HE HIT IT!! WE WIN!!!!" 

Last night was something we as Royals fans have all waited for since 1985 and it didn't disappoint. No matter what happens I will always remember last night's game. I have never been more exhausted just watching a game. At certain points it was pure torture and disappointment, at others it was pure joy and happiness, not unlike the entire Royals season. If the post-season ends anything last night's game for KC, it will be forever Blue October! Go Royals.


No comments: